Monday, February 6, 2012

Blog # 2

Did You Know? After I reviewed the two videos I was completely amazed.It's amazing how technology has developed at a rapid pace. What caught my attention the most is that there are educators that are training students for jobs that doesn't exist yet. The first week of EDM 310 we had to answer a questionnaire, and one of the questions mentioned,"do you believe that teachers should be technological literate?" Well, after viewing the two videos I agree very much. Another interesting fact I learned was the amount of Googles that are being done a day. I often wandered myself who had the questions before Google. Those two videos really opened my eyes to a boarder outlook of technology. It's very important to open your minds to learn new and exciting things. Always keep your minds open. Mr Winkle I found the Winkle short video funny. The first day of class I'm not ashamed to say that I felt like Mr. Winkle. Technology can be so overwhelming at times; because, there are new gadgets that are being invented everyday. As an education major it's important to keep up on the latest information. With all the new gadgets available children are getting the best of both worlds. What a great way to grab students attention then by combining the two. The part that most interested me was when Mr.Winkle walked into a classroom to see that some things remained the same. I feel that it's very important to keep education on a 50/50 standard. 50 percent technology and 50 percent books balances out just perfectly. I have a feeling after completing EDM 310 I will be far from being a cave woman to technology. The Importance of Creativity I absolutely LOVE this video!!! Sir Ken Robinson is a brillant man. I agree with everything he has said 100 percent. I do believe that arts and humanities are being drowned out of education. It's very important that each student gets the exposure to all subjects in education. I remember going to orientation day at USA, and one of the speakers mentioned that teachers have to be the most well rounded people in their profession. For a long time I questioned why I was required to take P.E. or music to become a history teacher? Now I know and appreciate the arts. Sir Ken Robinson made a valid point when telling the story of the ballerina dancer. It's quick to label individuals by what they do differently then to find out the problem first. I strongly believe everyone has their own unique way of doing things as well as learning differently. As a future educator I feel that it's important to teach kids arts and humanities. Do not take away a child's creativity. For a long time I felt my creativity was taken away from me in high school. That's what motivates me to teach high school students. 21 Century Learning I really did not get the concept of the video. I like the end of the video where they show the video game concept in education. Maybe the whole notion was to incorporate gaming in education, which I can see. It could be very possible to merge the two together for a successful outcome. I could see teachers teaching from a virtual computer game in today's classrooms. Anything that can spark the interest of a student. Digital Smarts I see Ms. Davis is an amazing educator. She is very devoted to her job, and to the students inside her classroom.I agree that learning should not end with pencil and paper. The students in her class seem excited, and most important interested in learning. I must admit I had the perception that teachers should know everything. While watching this video Ms. Davis mentioned sometimes the student should play the role of the teacher. One of the teachers mentioned that Ms. Davis took students from rural Georgia, and exposed them to the Middle East. That's phenomenal! Not only does she exposes her students to technology, but also to different regions around the world. Not to mention the term list below the video was also helpful.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Brittney! Great posts so far! After watching Mr. Winkle, I have to agree with you, after EDM310 the last thing I will be is a cave woman to technology. I also felt like a little overwhelmed walking into class my first day. I thought to myself, "there are so many computers in here, which one should I sit at? I wonder what we will be doing on them?" and many other thoughts ran through my mind. But as the days have gone on I am starting to become comfortable with them and the use of technology I wasn't familiar with before. I too, loved Sir Ken Robinson's video. Arts and music play such an important role in children's lives, and he did a great way of expressing that while being humorous at the same time.
    One tip I want to offer to you is a little peer review. I think it may help your blog look a little more organized if you separated your thoughts on the videos into paragraphs. When I first clicked on your blog I was like wow, that's a lot to read! It really isn't, I think it just looks like that since it's one big paragraph. It may be easier to read separated into 5 paragraphs and will give a cleaner look to your page! Hope that may have helped you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittney,

    Good post! However, be sure to add clickable links to every blog post so that readers can have a point of reference to all the videos and articles you discuss. You also need to have an image in every blog post.

    You need to fix your sidebar on your blog. You need to add a "Contact Me" gadget and Class Blog Feed gadget. The instructions for these are in the activities section of the Instruction Manual. If you have any problems, you can come by the lab and one of us will help you out!

    Keep up the good work,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete